The duct system is an integral part of heating and air conditioning in many homes throughout the Rye, NY area. It carries heated air in the winter and cooled air in the summer, ensuring that the entire household is heated or cooled evenly. Because they’re hidden in the attics, the crawlspaces, and other out-of-the-way locales, they don’t often suffer damage. But damage can occur when bolts between duct sections wear out, animals like raccoons enter the home, or even when work on another part of the house runs into trouble. A trained technician can seal a leaking or a breached duct, but the problem can be hard to spot since the ducts are usually tucked away out of sight. A diligent homeowner can detect distinct signs of trouble, however, and summon assistance promptly. Such signs can include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Cold spots or warm spots. These are created when conditioned air escaping from the leak blows against a nearby wall, floor, or ceiling.
- Strange noises. Odd noises can include whistles or hums, centered in an unusual location. In many cases, the sounds will start and stop in time with the starting and stopping of the heating session.
- Reduced air flow. By diverting the flow of air, a leak will slow the passage of air out of the affected vents.
- Cooler or warmer air than expected. A leak will remove conditioned air from the system or bring unconditioned air in, which will make the air cooler (or warmer in the summertime) when it emerges from the vents.
- Higher bills. The central issue with leaks is that they reduce the efficiency of the heating system, forcing it to work harder than it should and raising monthly bills accordingly.
Contact Yost and Campbell Heating, Cooling and Generators to treat breaches or leaks in the ducts.