Homes in the Rye, NY area typically rely on centralized heating systems such as forced-air furnaces, which generate hot air in a single locale before blowing it to the various rooms of the home via a series of ducts. The system is elegant and efficient, but it might not be possible in some homes, and might make a poor fit in others.
Yost & Campbell Heating, Cooling & Generators Blog: Archive for December, 2016
No two homes in Larchmont, NY are quite alike, and the power needs for each home differ greatly. A large household with many family members, for example, has different needs than a smaller house with fewer lights and appliances. This plays a key role when purchasing a generator to keep the home powered in the event of a blackout. Just as importantly, it determines the best placement for a generator, which needs to be able to do its job regardless of the specifics of the home it serves. That’s why a trained expert can provide the strongest advice on the best location for a new generator. The specifics rely on five different factors:
- Protection from the elements. Generators need to stay out of the snow and rain in order to function at their best. Furthermore, they need to be placed somewhere that the residents can reach safely, ideally without having to go outside.
- Statutes and codes. Civic laws stipulate where a generator must be placed and the distance of possible hazards such as air conditioners or furnaces.
- Power source. Generally speaking, a generator needs to stay as close to the electric meter and fuel supplies as possible. That makes it easier to operate and less prone to something going wrong.
- Maintenance. The generator needs to be placed where a technician can easily reach it to perform periodic maintenance. Regular maintenance ensures that the generator always works on short notice.
- Noise. Generators grow quieter with each successive generation, but they still generate quite a bit of noise. Ideally, they should be placed in a location where the sound of operation doesn’t disrupt the rest of the household.
Contact Yost & Campbell Heating, Cooling & Generators to discuss the best options for generator installation in your home, and to find the ideal location for it!
This winter looks to be one of the coldest on record in Bronx, NY, which means that residents will be running their heaters more than ever to maintain a cozy home. Temperature control is very important for every household, but it is not the only factor that prudent residents should consider. Dry air can create as many problems as low temperatures do, and cold weather always results in low humidity levels. The solution may be a whole-house humidifier installed by professionals.