How old should a heater get? What are the effects of an aging heater? When is the best time to consider replacement? These might not be the easiest questions to answer, but they’re important to think about as a heating system nears the end of its lifespan.
For any homeowners out there who are considering our team for heating in Rockland, NY, we don’t beat around the bush. If a heater is showing excessive signs of age, we tell homeowners right off the bat if a replacement might be a cost-effective solution to their problems. We can walk anyone through the steps of investing in the right type of replacement if it’s getting to be that time.
For everyone else who’s on the verge of replacing their heater, let’s talk about why a heating replacement can be an exciting opportunity rather than a stressful situation.
Signs to Look For
The first and most important thing we need to get out of the way are the signs that an ailing heater gives off. This can be the first thing a homeowner notices before thinking about heating replacement services and we need to let everyone know with a clear list about what to look for.
- Age. Simply put, if a forced-air heater like a furnace or heat pump is nearing 10+ years in age, it should be replaced soon. These systems are just not designed to last any longer than this, and all bets are off if it runs into a problem or starts becoming inefficient.
- Expensive component replacement. If anyone out there is the owner of a heat pump, then a compressor failure is one expensive problem to repair. Often, we’ll tell homeowners that experience this type of repair need that a whole system replacement might actually be more cost-effective. Expensive repairs signal a pretty huge problem for the longevity of a heater.
- Frequent repairs. Heaters shouldn’t need repairs more than once every few years. More frequent repairs spell out early retirement.
- Constant inefficiency. As a heater gets older, it gets less efficient to the point of costing a lot of money to run. This shouldn’t be acceptable and a replacement can fix this.
- Uncomfortable temperatures. Any heater that’s not keeping a home comfortable to the standards set when it was installed isn’t worth the money to operate it.
All of these signs, whether it’s one or multiple, point to a possible system replacement. It’s a good idea to discuss this with a heating professional when trying to figure out the best option.
This Is an Opportunity!
Don’t fret so much about a heating replacement. Heaters aren’t built to last forever and this should be understood when investing in one. However, this can be an exciting opportunity to truly upgrade a heating system into one that’s highly efficient, effective, and saves money down the line. This kind of HVAC work doesn’t have to be a hassle. We want homeowners to be excited about their prospective new heating system that we can potentially install.
Contact Yost & Campbell Heating, Cooling & Generators today for quality heater replacement.